Office of the New York State Attorney General Letitia James, Office of Special Investigation released:
The Town of Wallkill Police Reform Initiative, in conjunction with the New York State Police Reform and Reinvention Collaborate recognizes the importance of the input from the public in police reform. We invite you to review the Resource Guide for Public Officials and Citizens issued by the New York State Police Reform and Reinvention Collaborative. The Town of Wallkill Police Reform Initiative held two Public Comment Sessions, February 23rd and March 4th. Comments can still be emailed directly to PoliceReform@townofwallkill.com until March 8, 2021 to be considered for the report, however feel free to continue to email us indefinitely at this address regarding any issues, concerns or questions regarding police reform within the Town of Wallkill Police Department. You can access our Plan by clicking on the following link pdf Police Reform Draft Report (438 KB) .
March 4, 2021 Video:
February 23, 2021 Video:
On Friday, December 5, 2014, at an 11:00 am media conference, the Town of Wallkill Police Department unveiled the Department’s Citizen’s Online Complaint Reporting System. The new system will provide citizens with the opportunity to report harassing phone calls; identity theft/fraud; lost property; petty theft; and vandalism, online from a personal computer or mobile device. The online system provides citizens with an alternative way of reporting the listed offenses. Citizens will continue to have the option of filing a report for these offenses by either having an officer respond to the scene or meeting with a police officer at the police station.
In 2016 the Town of Wallkill Police Department adopted the Police Data Initiative (“PDI”). Under the PDI, we release disaggregated, machine readable data sets on Vehicle & Pedestrian Stops Employee Demographics and Community Engagement. The goal of the PDI is to increase transparency and accountability to the community we serve. Please click on the Data tab to view the information.
The mission of the Town of Wallkill Police Department is to protect life, property, public order and the rights of everyone in our community. Toward this end, it will undertake the following activities:
- Work alongside our community to identify and respond to ongoing crime and quality of life issues.
- Conduct ongoing planning, researching data of reported incidents, including crime and quality of life offenses, and developing, updating, and evaluating progress against strategies implemented to respond to these incidents.
- Work closely with all of our public service partners to develop strategies that are responsive to the needs of our community.
- Promote and encourage an environment which encourages constitutionally sound policing, including the adherence to high ethical standards.
- Continually review current technology to ensure the highest quality service is being provided to the public.